An opportunity has arisen for an experienced, full-time Network Engineer to join our team and work within a dynamic and diverse engineering environment.
The position offers a unique and challenging exposure to the wide spectrum of service provider technologies and solutions. As a Network Engineer, the candidate shall work closely with Gibtelecom’s Principal Engineers and fellow Analysts, to maintain the high standards of both extant and future technical solutions.
- Aid in the engineering, design and implementation of the core network, including but not restricted to, IP/MPLS networks.
- Develop and update the network infrastructure, researching and deploying new features to provide enhanced services.
- Document and develop procedures for the business and operations support teams.
- Engage with vendors and internal teams to maintain network performance; develop RFP documentation, where required.
- Support new product deployments with installation, integration, creation of SOPs and training.
- Participate in the supplier and equipment evaluation and selection process.
- Support Network Operations by providing tier 2/3 technical support. This includes 24/7 support within on-call rota system.
- Undertake Client assessments and site surveys.
- Carry out day-to-day activities including service installations, support requests, troubleshooting and system maintenance.
- Resolve outages and trouble shoot error conditions on network platforms. Engage vendors as required for support and execute instructions to resolve issues and incidents.
- Assist teams to develop scalable network designs and solutions for IP related areas of the business.
- This includes the IP/MPLS core and access networking technologies.
- Project management: Ensure core network projects are delivered on time and budget.
- Life cycle management: Anticipate EoL/EoS dates for software and hardware. Propose and deploy action plans to keep software and hardware updated.
What do I need to apply?
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in a Computer Science or related Telecommunications field, or proven experience in a network engineering and Service Provider environment.
- At least 5+ years of telecommunications experience working within a service provider environment.
- Certification level
- Cisco CCNP Service Provider or above
- Juniper JNCIP Service Provider or above
- MEF Carrier Ethernet (beneficial)
Mandatory knowledge and competencies
The ideal candidate shall possess a broad skill set, with proficiencies in most, if not all of the following key areas:
- Strong and demonstrable experience with service provider technologies and services (IP and MPLS based solutions) and their associated protocols (BGP, ISIS, OSPF, LDP, MPLS).
- Strong Juniper JUNOS and Cisco IOS-XR skills required.
- Understanding of firewalls and concepts – ACLs, NAT, IPSec and SSL.
- Services testing (EtherSam, RFC2544, Etherbet).
- Good understanding of DNS, DHCP, TACACs, Radius and other commonly used protocols.
- Excellent English written and verbal communications skills including presentation delivery.
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills.
- Demonstrate a strong interest in technologies and an enthusiasm for learning.
- Comprehensive understanding of high availability techniques.
- Self-motivating with the ability to make critical decisions.
Desirable knowledge and experience:
- Cisco ASR and Juniper MX/PTX platforms
- Juniper switching platforms (EX & QFX)
- Fortinet firewalls
- Experience with Data Centre Fabric, using VXLAN/EVPN & EVPN/MPLS.
- Scripting and automation (DevOps) experience, in the context of NFV & SDN (OpenConfig, NetCONF, Python)
- Linux experience.
- IPv6 experience.