We're looking for an individual to lead a team and technical function that ensures the delivery of an effective, efficient, and productive environment which can cope with the fluctuations and demands of the business, within the confines of policies and budgets.
To be responsible for the delivery of an excellent service, through the efficient architecture, engineering, and application of technology.
Your duties and responsibilities:
- To lead a technical function in relation to a specific remit of technology/or infrastructure, across relevant markets and countries.
- To lead on planning, development, design, engineering, architecture, integration, testing, acceptance, optimisation, and implementation activities of the technical function.
- To be responsible and accountable for the quality and performance of the technical function and ensure security and/or safety.
- To manage the resolution of customer-initiated complaints and defects within committed service levels attributed to the technical function.
- To be responsible and accountable for drafting, collating, and maintaining a repository of documentation in relation to the technical function.
- To define and execute multi-year roadmaps that align to the technical strategy and business objectives.
- To be responsible for leading and developing a highly effective technical team within the specific area of technology and/or infrastructure.
- To keep up to date regarding developments within the industry, including participating in standardisation committees, vendor, and industry forums.
- To ensure compliance with standards, policies, and procedures.
- To assist operational teams in determining the correct material resources, systems, and training to perform their duties adequately.
- To manage and maintain an information exchange relationship with operational counterparts.
- To support sales and marketing counterparts in relation to the specific remit of technology and/or infrastructure.
- To assist with the productisation of any new service linked to the technical function.
- To manage and develop vendor relationships in respect of the technical function.
- Conduct negotiations with vendors and strive to maximise value for money.
- To be responsible for expenditure control in respect of the technical function.
- To be available to assist in any projects and/or duties that the Company may deem reasonable.
- Principal Engineers are expected to be available on a 24/7 basis.
Scope and remit:
- The ideal candidate will be involved with all technology, infrastructure and functions underpinning the development and integration section. The scope of functions under direct responsibility are defined below but are not in any way limited to:
- Management of the end-to-end software development lifecycle, including design, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance of software systems.
- Definition and implementation of software development and integration best practices, processes, and methodologies, to ensure consistency and compliance based on ISO27001 standards across all projects.
- Develop and maintain technical documentation, including system design specifications, user manuals, and testing plans.
- Conduct code reviews and provide technical guidance and mentoring to team members.
- Develop software systems, applications, and tools as needed, using relevant programming languages and technologies such as Python or bash.
- Ensure that systems are secure, scalable, and performant, and that they comply with relevant regulations and standards.
- Keep up to date with emerging technologies and trends in software development and integration and apply this knowledge to improve processes and systems.
- Support the operational/Business Intelligence sections in the department by providing the relevant technical assistance.
- Ability to support existing software platforms running on a multitude of different programming languages and stacks (Python, Bash, Django, Celery, Flask, HTML, Java Script, Oracle, PostgreSQL and MySQL).
Experience and qualifications:
- Expert-level in various programming and scripting languages (Python, Bash).
- Proficient with database technologies – Oracle, PostgreSQL and MySQL.
- Proficient with working with Unix and Linux based server architectures.
- Knowledge of telecommunication environments essential.
- Previous experience in leading development teams.
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with quality assurance frameworks such as ISO27001
- *The Principal Engineer will continue to be accountable for the governance of technical functions required for the proper delivery of the service(s) within their remit.